Automatic selection of '--all--'

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Wed Dec 18 21:00:36 UTC 2002

Argh!  That's what I get for working from memory (I've just demonstrated to
you all that mine is chock-full of holes)...

I retract this statement:  "The intentional implementation of this feature
is that when you click on a class, the '--all--' category will be selected
by default, offering you a quick look at a pane-full of the available
protocol."

Our intention was simply to provide a way to easily browse the entire
protocol of a class (by clicking '--all--').

Looking back at version 2, I can see that when I implemented the feature,
you had to click on '--all--' to get the list of methods.  The default was
to show the class definition.  Thanks for gently jogging my memory Ned.

Having now just looked at 3.4a, I understand the problem.  I think that the
two possible solutions are:

1. return to the prior implementation, where '--all--' is not selected by
default.
2. add a menu item to the method's list that says something like:  'New
method template' -- which would clear the edit pane and put the browser in
method edit mode (displaying the new method template).

I think my preference is for number 2.

Cheers,

---==> Chris

PS>  Stephane, I have not had the pleasure of working with VisualWorks, so I
don't know what it looks like.  Could you describe its browser's '--all--'
behavior & perhaps point me to a picture of one?  Thanks!