Automatic selection of '--all--'

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Wed Dec 18 21:16:58 UTC 2002

tblanchard at mac.com wrote:
> Quick suggestion - why don't you toss up a quickie popup menu when
> "all" is selected and make the user select a category (including create
> new).  Sort of like what you get when you've mistyped a variable name
> and you get a popup with a list of likely candidates.  That would seem
> to be the most likely solution to guarantee properly categorized
> methods.
>
> The problem with "as yet unclassified" is that folks often don't go
> back to clean up.

Or, you could at least, just reduce the number of them. I found that as
a rule, if a class defined the method 'initialize' in a category called
  'initialize-release' I wanted subclasses to do the same. In fact,
often when writing a common method name, I found myself asking "now what
category is it I'm supposed to do this in again?" The solution (in VW)
was ConsistentProtocols (found in the open repository), which basically
makes the classification of a method always defer to any superclass
categorization of the same method. With this (and the point that John B
makes in his post), I don't even really pay attention to the protocol
list when coding any more. When I'm browsing/looking, I do, but when I
write a method, I don't care. It's been very enlightening.

--
Travis Griggs
Key Technology