Trouble with 5150UUID-fix

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Dec 20 02:00:39 UTC 2002

Hi Guys,

Just by random chance I was running a VM that doesn't have the UUID
primitives but which _was_ updated to 5156 and used UUIDs. I got a
notifier the "#dev#urandom" does not exist and no way out. Looking at
the code it seems strange to see how #makeUnixSeed works - first it does
silently assume the presence of /dev/urandom and only resets the answer
if it is curtailed (e.g., if the process is _terminated_ at which point
resetting the answer is entirely pointless. So that makes me wonder if:
a) the code really should check for running on a Unixy platform before
trying to go to /dev/urandom
b) the code really should use other means of testing for /dev/urandom
than just opening the file
c) if anyone on a *nix WITHOUT /dev/urandom has ever tried it...

Any ideas?!

Cheers,
  - Andreas