Documentation

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Dec 20 10:40:20 UTC 2002

Hi,

I just did build the Squeak VM on MacOS X. Here's a short HOWTO:

1) Get the platform specific sources
--> use cvs to get the vm sources:
     cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak login
     cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.squeak.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak co squeak
--> get the latest Squeak vm and image, put them in the "squeak" directory
    that cvs generated.

2) use vmmaker to generate plugins and the vm.
--> File in all the changesets from platforms/Mac OS/vm/specialChangeSets
    (the line-endings are wrong, so do a "remove linefeeds" first)
--> VMMakerTool openInWorld
--> check if all paths are correct
--> change the setup: FFIPlugin, Mpeg3Plugin, FileCopyPlugin,
    IntegerPokerPlugin  and TestOsaPlugin external,
    rest internal
--> generate code
--> run the Gnuifier

	(Gnuifier on:
		((FileDirectory default
			directoryNamed: 'src')
				directoryNamed: 'vm') pathName) gnuify
--> I had to add
#undef bool
#undef Bool
      to interp.c

3) compile
--> install the MacOS X Developer tools
--> move SqueakVMForCarbon.pbproj.sit and recources.sit to the "squeak"
    main dir, unpack
--> start by clicking
--> edit path of "squeak" Sources: Those are coded ref in the "Groups &
    Files" tree on the left side. Just select the directory, Apple-I, and
    put the correct path there.
--> if you want to build the optimized deplayment version, make sure
    to build the "Squeak VM Opt" target and build style "deployent"
    John suggests: "You might need to switch back to the Squeak VM Debug
    and back to ensure the setting actually are taken. There seems to be
    a bug where although you've got the Opt build picked it really builds
    a non-optimized debug version."

I hope this helps,

     Marcus

--