TimeStamp is part of SM?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Dec 21 15:56:50 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 10:12:49AM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 08:59:27PM +0100, tblanchard at mac.com wrote:
> > Actually, I'm trying to add support for a web app and want ISO-8601
> > read/write support.
> > 1997-12-17 07:37:16-08 - so the timezone is just specified as an offset
> > [+-]hh:mm
> >
> > I'm having trouble figuring out how to do this with the package (which
> > looks good BTW).
>
> <various explanations snipped>

One more thing I should mention: If you happen to be using a unix/linux box
and prefer to use the built in timezone services, the time zone database
package includes a plugin (TimePlugin) and an OSTimeZone class which does
this. Amazingly enough, this still works on Squeak 3.4 and VMMaker.

Personally, I think it's more interesting to load the tz database files
into the Squeak image where you can browse them in an object explorer and
figure out how they really work ("TimeZoneDatabase systemDatabase explore").
It does take up a lot of space in your image though.

Dave