Subjective Squeak

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Sat Dec 21 19:37:01 UTC 2002

Anthony Hannan <ajh18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Remember, I am still a proponent of class extensions that are actually
> separate behaviors/classes in a multiple inheritance hierarchy.  This
> way new versions of classes are just changes and not additions of new
> behavior.  With class extensions as separate classes, we only need
> configurations and classes, eliminating the need for a third intermediary
> concept (packages).

Actually, separate class extensions is not required for eliminating the
third concept.  Class extensions can be represented as new versions of
classes (additions).  However, if two or more configurations specify two
new versions of the same class (for two new class extensions), then
there would be a conflict.  To fix this, we could allow two versions of
the same class to automatically merge if none of its methods conflict.

So all that is needed are classes and environments.  You can call
the environments "configurations" (as I have in this and my last email)
or "packages" (as I have in previous emails).

Cheers,
Anthony