OSProcess problem (was: Failing SUnit tests in 3.4b)

Phil Hargett hargettp at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 22 14:54:12 UTC 2002

Okay, here's an interesting additional bit of info.  I just stepped
through the method UnixProcess class>>catAFile in a Squeak debugger--and
no crashes!  This was the core method that caused one of the test cases to
fail by aborting the VM.

Here's my thought: is it a timing issue?  It seems that the bulk of the
work in this method involves forking a child process--could it be that
code is attempting to access something about the child process before it's
created--or after it is already complete?  I don't know, but given that it
worked in the debugger and not when simply run directly suggests it's just
a timing thing.

??