WriteStream nextPutAll: vs Stream nextPutAll:

bitwAttb bitwisetech at attbi.com
Sun Dec 22 15:46:23 UTC 2002

 Hello, I encountered this when I tried to fileIn the MusicTools class from
Mark Guzdial's Live Essay. I believe it's related to a similar problem that
John Voiklis reported in msg00314 when someone found SwkiNavigator.st
failed when trying to fileIn the icon images.

Here's what I did: 1)  In Mark's Live Essay Image,  filed out
SqueakMusicTools.cs 2)  The changeset files in OK to Mark's image
3)  Tried to fileIn  on 3.4B image,  got: "MessageNotUnderStood: reset"
walkback. 4) Dunno how to  cut & paste the gory details but,  the fileIn
process fails at the end when the GIF files for the icons are supposed to
be read in by the ImageReadWriter. ImageReadWriter,  when performing
formFromStream, passes a nextPutAll: to WriteStream class. WriteStream
class nextPutAll method seems to have been changed in Aug 2001 to, in turn,
 call super nextputAll,  so the method call gets handled by Stream class. Stream
 class nextPutAll: returns not a Stream but an instance of the argument
collection, in this case a String.  So Stream nextPutAll: returns String
class to be reset when
ImageReadWriter is expecting to have created  an i nstance of
RWBinaryOrText class.

Hope it makes sense  ..  TIA for suggestions,

Paul Lakin

--
bitwAttb