basicIsSqueak test

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Dec 23 04:47:19 UTC 2002

On Sunday 22 December 2002 04:13 pm, Nevin Pratt wrote:
> basicIsSqueak
>     Smalltalk
>         at: #SqueakPage
>         ifAbsent: [^ false].
>     ^ true
>
> This method must reliable return 'true' if and only if the code is
> called from within a Squeak image.  I couldn't think of any
> particular "reliable" test other than what I have shown above.

I wouldn't count on any class like SqueakPage that might be unloaded
in a minimal image.

I would instead test for attributes, abilities, quirks, or components
of a minimal kernel, whatever that might be.

Among the lower-level things that you shouldn't count on:
* the compiler
* plugin source
* networking or file support in its current state
* Morphic or MVC

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com