Projects

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Tue Dec 24 13:46:05 UTC 2002

Hi, Frank!

Quoting from Noel Rappin's chapter "Squeak for Nonnative Speakers" from the
Guzdial/Rose "NuBlue Book" (highly recommended -- Prentice Hall, ISBN#
0-13-028091-7) --

      "Now open "Play With Me 3". It opens into what looks like a thumbnail
sketch of a Squeak desktop. It is, in fact, a thumbnail sketch of a Squeak
desktop, a fact you can confirm by clicking on it, and choosing "enter
project." Play With Me 3 is an example of a Squeak project.  Projects allow
you to maintain a separate desktop for each one. Being able to specify
different screen preferences for different projects is nice (I usually give
different projects different background colors, so I can tell what I'm
working on at a glance). The real benefit to projects, however, is that the
changes made to the image in each project are stored separately, allowing
code in a project to be transferred more easily. We'll see more about this
in a few pages when we discuss change sets.
      "You get out of a project by clicking on the desktop to get the system
menu, and selecting either "previous project", which takes you back to the
project you just left, or "jump to project", which gives you a list of all
projects in the system and lets you choose which one to go to."
Buy the book -- it (and the White Book) offer a lot of good information and
some valuable new ways of seeing.  OK, OK, while you're waiting for your
copies of the books to arrive, Noel's chapter can be found at
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/squeakbook/uploads/rappin.pdf in "ready to
absorb" form.  (-:

Gary Fisher