Pocket PC Performance

Carl Gundel carlg at libertybasic.com
Thu Dec 26 15:17:23 UTC 2002

Hey all and Happy Holidays!

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Pocket PC for the express purpose of
doing Squeak work on it.  I'm sure that I'll get a chance to play my part in
creating cool stuff for the Squeak PDA community.  ;-)

I am pleased to announce that Squeak does run on the Audiovox Maestro, which
is a rebranded Toshiba e570 with 32MB of RAM.  I bought it for its CF2 (IBM
Microdrive compatible!) and SD slots!  Cool!

I am using the TinySqueak image.

I am disappointed in the very sluggish performance I get from Squeak on my
206MHz StrongARM computer.  The last time Smalltalk felt so slow for me was
when I ran Smalltalk/V v2.0 on a 7.88MHz Tandy 1000SX back in 1988.  Why is
it so slow, and is there anything I can do about this?  Settings perhaps?

Is MVC more usable?  TinySqueak doesn't have MVC.

I ran the following two benchmarks:

Time millisecondsToRun: [
 1 to: 10000 do: [ :i | i printString ] ]

This gave me slightly more than 12000 milliseconds.  :-(

Time millisecondsToRun: [
 1 to: 1000000 do: [ :i |  ] ]

This gave me slightly more than 900 milliseconds.

So object allocation and garbage collection are the culprits?

Thanks for any pointers (not that kind of pointers)!

-Carl