Pocket PC Performance

Carl Gundel carlg at libertybasic.com
Thu Dec 26 19:27:27 UTC 2002

> ---  Yoshiki.Ohshima at a... wrote:
> >--- "Carl Gundel" <carlg at l...> wrote:
> > I am pleased to announce that Squeak does run on the Audiovox Maestro,
which
> > is a rebranded Toshiba e570 with 32MB of RAM.  I bought it for its CF2
(IBM
> > Microdrive compatible!) and SD slots!  Cool!
>
>   Conglatulations!  Which VM you're using?  The VM at
>
> http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/tmp/SqueakWithMemorySlider.zip
>
> is supposed to be slightly easier to configure the memory space size.

I use this one:  SqueakVM-alpha6-PocketPC-ARM-noGAPI.zip

I have also tried the following with bad results (can you say wipe memory?):

SqueakVM-alpha6-PocketPC-ARM.zip
SqueakVM-alpha6-PocketPC-ARM-Landscape.zip

Is the VM with slider non GAPI friendly, since my Maestro seems not to
support GAPI (or maybe has an incompatible GAPI)?

> > Is MVC more usable?  TinySqueak doesn't have MVC.
>
>   MVC is way snappier and definitely usable.

Is there a suitably sized Squeak image I can download which includes MVC?
Of course, as you know, smaller is better.  ;-)

> > So object allocation and garbage collection are the culprits?
>
>   Or overall memory access, I'm guessing.

How does Win CE run so nice and snappy.  Is it just a matter of it being
written in C/C++?  Is Squeak really a viable platform for this class of
machine?

>   Would you mind to try the following tests I posted a few weeks ago
> on your Genio, err Maestro?
>
> -----------------------------------
>   Before the test, set the screen to full screen mode and display
> depth to 16.

I can't set to full screen mode (or at least it seems to do nothing when I
do).  Is this a GAPI related feature?

> --- test1 ---
> | rect |
> rect _ (0 at 0 extent: 224 at 224).
> Smalltalk garbageCollect.
> ^ [1 to: 200 do: [:i |
> Display forceToScreen: rect.
> ]] timeToRun
> -------------
>   (On XScale 400MHz, it is about 1900 msecs.)

On my 206Mhz SA machine, 7964 msecs.

> --- test2 ---
> | f g |
> f _ Form extent: 224 at 224 depth: 16.
> g _ Form extent: 224 at 224 depth: 16.
> Smalltalk garbageCollect.
> [200 timesRepeat: [f displayOn: g at: 0 at 0 rule: Form over]] timeToRun.
>   (On XScale 400MHz, it is about 1300 msecs.)

On my 206MHz SA machine, 828 msecs.  Yes, that's 828.  Funny.

-Carl