Pocket PC Performance

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Dec 26 20:40:49 UTC 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Carl Gundel wrote:

> Is the VM with slider non GAPI friendly, since my Maestro seems not to
> support GAPI (or maybe has an incompatible GAPI)?

Did you install the GAPI gx.dll? Did you make sure to install it for the
right OS (PPC2k2 i presume) and CPU?

> Is there a suitably sized Squeak image I can download which includes MVC?
> Of course, as you know, smaller is better.  ;-)

There is the Dynapad image,, to which I referred to but I don't think I
linked to. :/  Have a look at http://dynapad.swiki.net/

It's pretty full featured for only being 5 MB or so.  You can remove stuff
if you like, if you'll only be using MVC- it includes a handful of apps
which use Morphic. The 0.1 release includes MVC as well as a mostly
trained CharRecog that works in both MVC and Morphic.

> >   Or overall memory access, I'm guessing.
>
> How does Win CE run so nice and snappy.  Is it just a matter of it being
> written in C/C++?  Is Squeak really a viable platform for this class of
> machine?

Well, as some of us have seen, MVC is quite snappy, and it is written
completely in SMalltalk.  Morphic have some performance issues even on
machines faster than a 206 SA/400 XScale.  And it's not just about
browsers loading "--all--" by default, unfortunately.  However, it's
possible to have a fast Morphic, even though we may never see it on this
class of machine... A 2.8-based image (the stock image, or Dynapad 0.1) is
quite a bit faster than TinySqueak.image, or any Morphic in 3.2 or 3.0.
No one seems to be sure why.  But improvements, options, and design
decisions coulsd be made toward a more efficient Morphic on the PDA, even
it it means losing some of the cooler (but seldom-used) features of
Morphic for that speed.

MVC is very fast.  2.8 Morphic is faster than in 3.2. Heck, 2.6 Morphic is
faster than in 2.8.  A Morphic that is almost as MVC could be done, but it
would take work- surely WinCE has been optimized a lot more than Morphic.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "the question is no longer between violence and non-violence; It is
between non-violence and non-existence."  :: martin luther king junior