AW: [VM] unstability

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Feb 1 00:49:12 UTC 2002

>Scott,
>
>>  I'm using the exact same vm as you, and an up-to-date 3.3a image,
>>  under mac os8.6; since yesterday, after the module code came in
>>  (though not necessarily *because* of the module code) my Squeak has
>>  frozen up on me, unaccountably and unpredictably, perhaps half a
>  > dozen times.  Which is around six more than than my daily average.

Mmm if I read right you typically get no crashes.

I'm assuming of course people are willing to whine at me if the
macintosh VM crashes. If of course you are getting crashes then I've
a wonderful debuggable VM to give you with some MacsBugs
instructions. OS-X users should check the release notes for howto
turn on the crash reporter and send me OS-X crash logs (never gotten
any yet). Somehow I miss the days of reading IBM MVS core dumps.

Well not quite, now NCP dumps that was more thrilling.

However I will point out that if you run low on memory the Mac VM
becomes shall we say very unresponsive, something about recursive
full GC events makes the world go *very* slow.