Command/control key mapping

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Fri Feb 1 08:51:28 UTC 2002

Hi Harry

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Harry Chesley wrote:

> I recall a discussion on the list a while ago about allowing Windows
> users to use control- rather than alt-. I don't recall whether there was
> any final resolution (i.e., code) posted. I looked in the Squeak Fixes
> archives, but didn't see it.

I recall as well that somebody sent a change set to the list, but it is
difficult to find even as I have all the mails on the harddisk. The
problem of comming up with the correct search key ...

> At the time, I thought I'd wait and hope it makes it into the official
> image, but as my Squeak usage approaches 50% of my time on the computer,
> I find my muscle memory is approaching a state of maximal confusion...
>
> I'd be quite happy with something that swapped control- and alt-, or
> with something allowed the core commands (x, c, v, z, s, l) to be used
> with either control- or alt-.
>
> To avoid unnecessary traffic on the list, perhaps it would be best to
> reply directly to me on this. I'll post a summary answer to the list.

The list isn't at all a good medium for documenting things. A better
medium is the Swiki. You are probably aware of

FAQ: Keyboard shortcuts and bindings
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1844

and

FAQ: Modifier Keys
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/898

The first page tells you which method to change for doing your own
keyboard mapping. Anyhow it does not give a link to a change set.

I suggest that we do a link from these two pages after the change set for
the command keys has been refound or redone.

Having the right command key
mappings is important not to put an obstacle for new Squeak users with a
Windows PC. It can disappoint people considerably if they are not able to
do basic things with ease (copy/paste) when using new software.

I think for Windows users ctrl-y,ctrl-x,ctrl-c and ctrl-v should work in
the Windows specific way.

There could be more work on this. For example Aaron J. Reichow asks

>I followed the discussion on command keys (for turning on the charRecog),
>and would like to add a global hotkey to close windows (like Cmd-W on Mac
>OS or Ctrl-F4/Alt-F4/Ctrl-W/Ctrl-X/Ctrl-E/probably more on Windows).  I
>see that the command key stuff is attached to ParagraphEditor, which
>makes
>it very non-global.

>How can I go about adding this?  Is there any reason that it's not been
>done already?

The simple answer is probably: There hasn't been yet somebody feeling
enough pain to take up responsibility for this and coming up with a
solution (which could be just posting documentation on the swiki and some
Smalltalk code which can be evaluated either by 'do it' or 'file-in'.

There could even be a kind of editor for keyboard mappings or at least a
preferences panel for certain settings.

To sum up:
Perhaps the person who did the change set for the Windows key
mapping reads this mail and reposts the change set so  that we can more properly
document it (i.e. making it acessible).

Cheers
Hannes Hirzel

P.S. BTW Just curious - you don't need to tell it - what are you using
Squeak for 50% of your computer time?