[BUG?] Latest updates freeze (Probably not a VM problem) was Re: [VM] unstability

Henrik Gedenryd h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk
Fri Feb 1 09:39:41 UTC 2002

Scott Wallace wrote:

> Hi, Stephane,
>
> I'm using the exact same vm as you, and an up-to-date 3.3a image,
> under mac os8.6; since yesterday, after the module code came in
> (though not necessarily *because* of the module code) my Squeak has
> frozen up on me, unaccountably and unpredictably, perhaps half a
> dozen times.  Which is around six more than than my daily average.

This has never happened to me, which probably just means that you do
something I never do. If you can give me urls where I can get the vm &
changes you are experiencing this with, I'll take a look.

Although as you say it doesn't have to be the modules, it does seem like the
obvious candidate.

> The difficulty does not appear to be easily repeatable -- the same
> step (e.g. a simple tile-scripting gesture) will sometimes be
> uneventful and sometimes lock up the system.

Most likely some parts of eToy don't work as expected. In particular I
recall some class actively modifying its own pool variables when compiling
things. You might check all uses of References. Although I suspect Stephane
is not using eToy?

Henrik