Dynamic system memory use

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 1 11:27:34 UTC 2002

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I *think* linux is MADV_DONTNEED, but I'm not sure exactly what it
> does (conflicting stories).

It looks it. Searching the include files, I coauld only find this:

#ifdef __USE_BSD
/* Advise the system about particular usage patterns the program follows
   for the region starting at ADDR and extending LEN bytes.  */
extern int madvise __P ((__ptr_t __addr, size_t __len, int __advice));
#endif

Which would indicate that it only exists in linux for the ability to
compile BSD programs that might want to not get linkage errors.

What it does; do a websearch:
    http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?madvise+2

Scott