New Squeak

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 03:04:53 UTC 2002

Gary McGovern wrote:

> Thanks John,
> I think I've got everything. Judging from some of the updates I read, I assumed the vm
> and plug-ins were all part of the updates. I think I've got all the updates but didn't catch
> what number they went to. The servers are saying there is no more to give me.
>
> How do you know what number was last downloaded ?

That bit's easy: just pop open the Squeak tab (l/h side) and click on
"about this system".

> Another question: when updating I was disconnected from the phone line and lost the
> http connection. This caused Squeak to crash, I couldn't save what I had already
> downloaded. Do you know a way to halt in the middle of updating to save ?

I don't think you can do it with the update stream, 'cos that would then
(when re-started) give errors like "name already in use" and so on. But
Dan (I think) sent me a code snippet when I was having problems of a
similar kind:

 flagUtilities readServerUpdatesThrough: nil (I guess you put the number
here!)
                saveLocally: true
                updateImage: false

and then load them in by executing...

        Utilities applyUpdatesFromDisk

which worked just fine back then but which I've never used since.

Of course, if you want to "regress" your image (I did this so that I've
one banzai test pilot image and one pretty stable one with all my old
stuff in it -- trying to update my old image to the modulkes stuff
proved impossible) just pop open a change sorter and destroy the
changesets. Going back to 4664 should give you something pretty stable.

HTH

Cheers

John

--
They're afraid, very afraid......
According to CRN magazine, Microsoft staff discovering Linux in use