[BUG] 3.2-4652 scoller sausage can obscure top scroll arrow

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat Feb 2 22:23:00 UTC 2002

Jesse Welton wrote:

> Doug Way wrote:
> >
> > Tim Rowledge wrote:
> > >
> > > Using the 'normal' scoller look (no offense intended but the new one
> > > with rounded ends looks really awful) it is possible to get the scroller
> > > sausage to overlay the top scroll arrow, but not the bottom one.
> >
> > I wouldn't consider this too serious a bug, as it only seems to
> > happen if you open a window with one scrollbar look, then change the
> > look preference, and then continue using the old window.  Normally
> > people won't be switching their preferences back and forth that
> > often...
>
> No, they won't, but it's potentially a very irritating problem with
> respect to loading in projects created by people with other
> preferences, isn't it?  It's also a shame that 3.2gamma's top project,
> providing as it does people's first impression of the system, includes
> windows in two different styles, guaranteeing that at least one of
> them looks awkward.  Furthermore, their scrollbars don't match the
> default alternativeScrollbarLook preference, which means their
> scrollbars end up looping really funky if their panes are resized.

After I posted my message, I did notice that the windows in the top project of a 3.2gamma image have this problem.  So yes, it would be nice to at least re-build these windows for the 3.2 release image, so people don't see broken scrollbars when using Squeak for the first time.

> Ideally, it would be nice if existing windows could be modified when
> the prefrerences were changed, but that's probably too difficult in
> practice.  Wouldn't it at least be better if windows would honor the
> preferences with which they were created, rather than acting as
> awkward-looking hybrids?

I guess that wouldn't be too hard... the ScrollPane or ScrollBar could remember (with an instvar) which type of look it was created with and draw itself based on that, rather than checking the preference when drawing.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com