[ENH] Fileout Utility

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at iserve11.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 4 05:28:16 UTC 2002

Attached is a port of a mass-fileout utility that I've often used in VisualWorks 3.0.  I did the port this evening, in an image based on Paul Fernhout's Embedded Squeak, which in turn was based on Squeak 2.2.  I've checked that it seems to work in a Squeak 3.1 image as well, but caution might be appropriate at this stage.  Disk space is very tight on my laptop, so that is all the testing it will get for tonight.

It works by adding a menu item to the Browser Class Category pane, that will ask for a set of patterns to use in matching category names, such as 'One* Other-One*'.  It will then suggest a possible name for the fileout, such as 'OneOtherOne.st'.  After that, it will find all class categories with names matching (in this example) the pattern 'One*' or the pattern 'Other-One*', and proceed to fileout all classes in those categories.  As a bonus, it will first fileout a doit that sets up the categories during the filein ( one thing I hated was having the class categories I had filed out show up in arbitrary order after a filein ).  Classes are filed out ( or at least should be filed out ) in superclass-first order.  A future enhancement ( for  those that might care ) would be to first fileout all of the class definitions prior to filing out any of the method defintions.  This would make it just a little bit easier for humans to read the fileout in order to find out which classes are affected.

In doing this port, I ended up adding quite a few methods to existing classes.  If that doesn't bother you, then give it a try and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

- les