[ANN] Documentation Website

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Feb 4 10:28:08 UTC 2002

Bernd Oldenbuettel <bernd at oldenbuettel.de> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I build a little website for Squeak documentation. You will find it at
>
>  http://www.squeakdoc.org
>
> The main part of the site is an annotated class documentation, inspired by the
> PHP website at www.php.net. If you find the pages useful, I might add a scamper
> version. Or a Squeak frontend. Or a Howto section. Or ...
>
> Bernd

Beautiful! I like it. I am wondering though, now that there are stuff
popping up everywhere (no particular order and not an exhaustive list by
any means):

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak - The Almighty Swiki.
http://marvin.bluefish.se:8080/squeakdot - SqueakDot, my little silly
experiment.
http://sqdb.squeak.info - Sqdb is an open database of class and method
comments for Squeak. (snipped from the "What's this").
http://www.squeakdoc.org - Your new site.
http://squeak.heeg.de:8080 - Hans-Martin Mosner's site, which seems like
a real nifty solid repository - though I haven't tried it myself yet.

Ok. Obviously we are going to get redundancy etc which is not a bad
thing per se. But it is good to have a clear view on "what is what",
right? My personal perception:

The Swiki is the current "outside of the image" true source of Hypertext
information on Squeak. It's our common ground for persisting thoughts,
ideas, project info etc. Simple and good.

Hans-Martin's site will probably gradually take a place as a good
repository - perhaps even more important now that "Modules" are here and
it is easier to maintain modules outside of the image. I assume it will
"adapt" to the module system with relative ease.

The Sqdb is an attempt to host comments outside of the image. I
personally don't know if it will succeed - it will definitely require
good tool support IN the image, in order to be used. But it is an
interesting idea nevertheless.

SqueakDot is an experiment in giving webbased services to the Squeak
community implemented in Squeak. Apart from the fact that it is (soon)
an experiment in co-development, the services in the end for the user
are meant to COMPLEMENT other services available. For example, I
personally will not encourage us to add discussions to SqueakDot since I
want the mailinglist to be The Place for that. But voting is a simple
thing that is not easily done on a mailinglist. And there are other such
things.

I would say that the above 4 don't "compete" in any are, at least not
yet! :-)

SqueakDoc though seems to "clash" with Sqdb - but on the other hand,
that's bound to happen I guess. It also has discussion areas - but
perhaps they are mainly focused on discussing the documentation. Anyway
- don't take this as criticism - I like the site a lot! I just want us
to play along the best we can. ;-)

Anyway, just a string of thoughts.

regards, Göran