SoundIn in MacOS X?

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Tue Feb 5 06:50:05 UTC 2002

At 11:21 PM -0700 2/4/02, Eric Scharff wrote:
>In addition to the byte twiddling in the Mac OS X sound input manager, it
>has been my experience with OS X that QuickTime is more robust (and more
>flexible) than some of the old microphone data stuff.  For example,
>QuickTime can be used to read sound input data directly from a digital
>camera.  QuickTime recording has an added bonus that the system handles
>the recording and scheduling of I/O for you, without having to mess around
>too much with threads.
>
>I have no time to look at this right now, but I have always wondered if it
>is possible to replace Squeak's sound recording with QuickTimes Sequence
>grabber.  It would be a more complex solution, but in the end it might be
>worthwhile.

I've been using the SequenceGrabber stuff to deal with video input
from a webcam. I'm currently trying to get that code (it uses FFI) to
work under OS X.

Of course I've been ignoring the audio part of it, because I'm only
interested in the video, but it's very similar. Once I get it working
on OS X I'd be happy to send the basic SequenceGrabber code to anyone
that it might help.

-Martin