[ANN] Documentation Website

Bernd Oldenbuettel bernd at oldenbuettel.de
Tue Feb 5 07:42:03 UTC 2002

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002 23:11:17 +0100
G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl wrote:

> Long ago Dan Ingalls (?) was wondering about the fact that such technical
> clever people as Squeakers still use such an archaic tool like email for
> their communication. He even spent an eMail on that with the title "How we
> discuss things..."

[a lot of information about php-nuke snipped]

> Some small remarks about your choice:
> I did recognize the php Nuke style and found in your pages the company that
> sells this product: http://www.digibuy.com/cgi-bin/order.html?vbulletin

Uhm, not exactly. The homepage may look a bit like the nuke homepage, but it
is completely hand crafted.
I really considered using PHP-Nuke. But it would be overkill for what I planned.
I dont't want to build _SqueakNews.org_.  I wanted to set up a documentation
site. The news and community part should be handled by a tool like SqueakDot.
The news part on the homepage at SqueakDoc.org is titled "Site News". And that's
exactly what it's meant to be. Stuff like: "I added a nice red wobbly thing with
a button. Please have a look."

> Weird that you pay this company for a product that is free.
> Or is that the price you want to pay for tuning a product for the market.
> (If you were not a technical person - but you are, because you do Squeak - I
> could understand buying this out-of-the-box product.. paying every year $85
> dollars..)

I actually tried some free clones of vBulletin first. I tested phpBB and Phorum.
But they are not as easily adjustable as vBulletin, and I wanted to start fast.
Hey, the forum should just be a little extra sugar.
Yes, I spend some bucks. But this way I have the opportunity to shout at some
support people when something goes wrong. And after all: I've got to get rid of
all this money that covers the floor of my appartment. ;)

Bernd
(feeling guilty for using commercial software)