A short SqueakDot report: chats

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 5 13:54:29 UTC 2002

I am hacking away at SqueakDot and now we have "chats" - a very simple
but kindof effective little webbased chat. I added this because I wanted
people to be able to give feedback easily. You can chat with me anytime
at:

http://marvin.bluefish.se:8080/squeakdot/public/gohu/chat/8

These little "chats" are meant to be a complement to the mailinglist in
the sense that when questions arise that perhaps needs a bit more
interactive exchange, anyone with an account on SqueakDot can (by
submitting one simple form) create a "chat" on the subject and then post
the url to the chatpage on the list for further discussion.

The chat will show up on the frontpage as long as it is valid. Anyone
can chat, unless if "anonymous chatting" is not checked - then only
logged in accounts can participate. So get yourself an account! :-)

The "chat" currently keeps all history but you select how much you want
to see.

Currently the chats pop up on the frontpage if they are still valid, but
you can access them later through the "chat list" (PENDING) or if you
know the url to the chat. Unchecking "List on chatlist" will keep it
from being listed. If you also set "Days listed on frontpage" to 0 you
must tell someone the url to get any talking going...

The chat has a "conclusion" textarea which anyone can edit during the
chat. I am also thinking of maybe adding "quick polls" during the chat.
A todo-list also sounded nice, but you can perhaps use the conclusion
area for that. Right now there is no "locking" on the conclusion area -
so... be quick! :-) I will try to fix that I think. Currently the
conclusion is not "logged" so a malicious or clumsy person can wipe it
out - perhaps a log on the submissions would be nice there. Yes...

When the chat has ended (and a conclusion has been reached or whatever)
the owner can flag the chat  as "Readonly". After that it is up to the
owner to delete the chat or keep it around. I also thought there might
be a good thing to include a "mail chat to:" thingy so that we easily
could mail a finished chat to the mailinglist for everyone to read if
they like.

Note: A little tip is to turn on the Autorefresh checkbox when just
reading and then switch it off when you want to write something.
Otherwise the input field will get cleared on the next refresh (every 10
seconds).

Over and out, Göran

PS. <CSOTD>
"Newbie tip: You want to know how long something takes to run? Use a
print it or inspect it on:"
Time millisecondsToRun: [ "put your code here like:" 100 factorial ]
</CSOTD> DS