[MOD] version

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 5 14:02:28 UTC 2002

Henrik Gedenryd <h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk> wrote:
> Bergel Alexandre wrote:
>
> > What is the plan for managing module version ? Is it the same way than for
> > change set files (ie : we add .aNumber. as suffix) ?
>
> The plan is that versions will be added when someone steps up to add them!

May I humbly suggest that we declare one very simple version-numbering
scheme to be mandatory and then add other schemes "on the side"?

Otherwise total confusion will reign, tools will crumble in despair and
whole Squeakkind will suffer in eternity. Or something like that.

The "simple basic scheme" could perhaps just use (as Henrik suggested) a
Float notation like:

1.01 < 1.1 < 1.43 < 2.12

Then ordering is obvious and well defined. Parsing is very simple. And
people can play around with digits to indicate whatever they like. Then
add some form of "tags" system so that people can attach tags how they
like. Perhaps you already have that covered with annotations btw - I
haven't had time to study it...

regards, Göran