64 bit file io

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 5 21:15:06 UTC 2002

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I'll just be happy to get 64 bit file offset to work on all
> platforms.

(John already knows this, but for other intersted parties) -
Ain't gonna happen; not all platforms can do 64bit file offsets. What we
_can_ do, and in fact appears to be the situation now in the VMMaker/SF
source world, is support 64bit file offsets where possible and make sure
everything still works ok on machines without 64bit file offset OS
support.

tim

Strange OpCodes: BBL: Branch on Burned out Light