[Slightly OT] Source code management

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 6 15:49:57 UTC 2002

cg at home.cdegroot.com (Cees de Groot) wrote:
> Andreas Raab <Andreas.Raab at gmx.de> said:
> >> I'll never, ever, go back to a single central repository
> >> without a lot of screaming and kicking ;-)
> >
> >Heh, heh. Tell that to guys who're trying to convince me that There Must
> >Be Only One central repository for VM sources ;-)
> >
> Easy. 'Only One' in CVS terms translates in 'only one canonical one to
> make releases from', IMHO. And as soon as VMMaker stabilizes, even that won't
> be necessary, I think.

I don't think that's the point -- if you just want a canonical source,
then anything will do.  SourceForge helps with other things:

	1. It helps people cooperate on the source code.  This is especially
important on Unix, where there are several major contributors, but I can
see it's not as big a deal on the other ports.

	2. It has things *other* than file distrubition, that it would be nice
not to reinvent.  Two big examples in my mind are version management and
bug tracking.

VMMaker doesn't solve these particular problems.

I think Andreas's argument is more about mixing up all the different
ports into one archive on one server, which I agree isn't necessary.

-Lex