squeak printing?

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Thu Feb 7 03:44:29 UTC 2002

>>At 3:52 PM -0800 2/6/02, John M McIntosh wrote:
>>>I'm wondering if there is any interest in printing from Squeak on
>>>the mac. It seem Apple has made it a wee bit more friendly to
>>>print either a bitmap/form or dump postscript into a print stream.
>>>
>>>Bet this will only work on Carbon or only with OS-X.
>>>
>>>However is there interest?
>>
>>Yes! I've wanted this for some time, but recognized that it wasn't trivial.
>
>Well it's become much more trivial and historically I've been avoid
>the whole printing area after writing some code to do band printing
>on my imagewriter II, so a lot has changed, documentation for one.

Apple's has a history of being slow with documentation on printing;
I'm glad it's gotten better. The last time I actually wrote any Mac
printing code was in 1985, when I managed to get MacForth to print
QuickDraw graphics and text to an Imagewriter, despite almost total
lack of documentation in the first edition of "Inside Macintosh." As
I recall, I ended up disassembling pieces of other programs to figure
out how they interfaced to the print drivers, since the documented
way only applied to development environments which provided special
printing support, which MacForth didn't.

Anyway, I'd probably only use it occasionally at first, as I've
gotten used to not having printing capability in Squeak, but if it
isn't too much trouble it'd be nice to have. And if printing was easy
I bet I'd find more uses for it.

-Martin