[Games] If Civilization Were Written In Squeak ...

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 7 13:48:55 UTC 2002

"Brent Vukmer" <bvukmer at blackboard.com> wrote:
> Does anybody else think it would be cool for Squeak if it got famous as a game platform?  Good for PR?  Good for getting lots of users that would use Squeak heavily and find lotsa things to improve ... ?

Oh yes.  One of the main reasons some people don't like writing big
standalone programs in Squeak is that the widgets look different than
Motif.  Sometimes this is even a good argument.  :)   But with games,
you tend to make your own widgets and thus it's not an issue.

Furthermore, Squeak has cross-platform graphics and sound.  That alone
should be pretty interesting to game-makers.

To contrast, I recently had the experience of playing Droidquest, a game
written in Java.  It doesn't work on Macs at all, and the behavior of
some key things is different on Linux and MS Windows -- it seems that
almost every time someone downloads it, a new round of platform-specific
bugs must be worked out.

-Lex