squeak printing?

Rik Fischer Smoody riks at smOO.com
Thu Feb 7 18:08:49 UTC 2002

At 3:52 PM -0800 2002/2/6, John M McIntosh wrote:
>I'm wondering if there is any interest in printing from Squeak on the
>mac. It seem Apple has made it a wee bit more friendly to print
>either a bitmap/form or dump postscript into a print stream.
Yes, please.

One of the things I've been doing lately is fairly quick (throw-away, even) images
that help grade schoolers grok some math or other concept.

Full disclosure: one such person is my son, and he/we like showing off to his friends.
I hope to lead a small group of them in a Squeak adventure-creating class this spring.

I'd love to be able to put a "print" button which has a decent chance of working.
Being able to take a paper copy to the teacher's in box makes a qualitative difference.
Dragging her to the computer room to look seldom happens.

>Bet this will only work on Carbon or only with OS-X.
Some of the computers at school are steam-driven: Squeak is no fun on those anyhow.
And the tech support people are busy making sure that pubescent kids don't learn about sex from the internet, so they don't have time to upgrade OSs where hardware could do it.
I'm lucky to get permission to load/run squeak on the machines.

Still, it's a step in the right direction. New computers will support print buttons.

>However is there interest?
>
>PS Funding would even be better.
Business is slow.
Would a raincheck for dinner in Seattle be a tiny positive inducement?
British Columbia is also a possibility, but I cannot predict when next I would be able to deliver.
I get up that way about 1/year.

Rik Fischer SmOOdy     riks at smoo.com
	smOOdynamics    -     Systems Made Outa Objects
		503-249-8300 ph/fx
	2400 NE 25th, Suite 800
	Portland, OR 97212
---
Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld, Lay, ...
the terrorists are winning.