More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardware

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Feb 8 05:16:08 UTC 2002

"Duane Maxwell" <dmaxwell at san.rr.com>  wrote...

>We had one of those at Exobox - we never successfully got Linux running on
>it, but that's not to say that your friend didn't.

He says he's running Slackware Linux

>They come stock with a
>special version of WinCE, just enough to run the browser and that's about
>it.

Hmmm.  I wonder if it's enough to run the squeak port.  Presumably would save memory to use what it comes with.

>IIRC, the 16MB Flash is soldered down, so it's not easy to upgrade.

I saw a somewhat cryptic reference to flash access:

	Compact Flash slot
	SanDisk type 1 or 2 capability
	to be supported in future updates

>There were a number of other connector pads with no connectors.
>
>It's very similar to many other Internet Appliances of its day, though it
>didn't run the National Geode chipset like most of the rest of them.
>Unfortunately, it does NOT have a touchscreen - and the display is passive,
>so the image quality is not very good.

Ah.  Too bad.  But, hey, $100.

I've sent a list of detailed questions off, and will post the answers.

	- Dan