[OT, unix] Looking for recursive soft linking incantation

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 8 19:28:45 UTC 2002

For all you unix gurus out there -
I'd like to be able to have a simple script that will run through the
VMMaker platforms tree and make a parallel tree with links between the
two; the tricky extra is that I need to apply a trivial transform to the
filenames.

i.e. /foo/bar/one.[c,h] needs to become /foo/bar/[c,h]/one

I'm sure there is something that must be able to do this, probably
involving find, basenm, ln, grep, awk, coredump -n, etc.

A similar little script might help people having problems with VMMaker
using a lot of structured directories, so if anyone can describe how to
take
platforms/{platformname}/* and platforms/Cross/* and src/* and produce
single directory of links to all of the contained files that would be
very useful. I suppose {platformname} ought to be an argument for this
script. Both scripts really ought to take the source and dest
directory names as well.

tim
"How many Ringworld Engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?"
"Thirty. Hey, moving suns around isn't easy..."