Benchmark: BC and/or methodcache.

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 9 05:11:39 UTC 2002

Excellent news..

I've integrated the new methodcache into the BC image. It went fairly
easy.. The hardest thing was that we are both clobbering class
definitions..... It looks like it'll be roughly an hour or so to port it
in the future.. But! It works!

The difference is impressive.

I can't run many of the macrobenchmarks, but those I can:

	STOCK	MC	BC	BC+MC
1	 54908	 27235	    -	    -
2	294773	219893	    -	    -
3	132697	 56784	83456	40789
4	 54756	 30076	    -	    -
5	     -	     -	    -	    -
6	 19057	 14462	18267	11512
7	 14544	 11520	15518	 7929

These are all on a P2-450

MC means both the root table overflow patch and the new methodcache. The
root table overflow patch is worth about 10,000 ms on #3

--

I'll say one thing already, it builds VM's a whole *lot* faster.

I'm currently profiling the new VM; and will have some results indicating
places for improvement for V4.

--

As for final integration, it could either be done now, creating a unified
VM, or I can do it later, when BC stabalizes.

Scott