squeak printing?

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sat Feb 9 05:16:28 UTC 2002

> > I'll go one further -- perhaps we should be thinking about remodelling
> > the FileStream and FileDirectory objects so that they can directly
> > support these kind of abstractions

> I guess the idea is, Squeak would have an internal naming system to
> handle its global data.

> One concern is that we might be overdoing it.
> Do we need a hierarchical naming system for this?

Why not adopt a simple uniform model for a hierarchical naming system?  The
MODEL is quite simple.  There are nodes and attributes.  Nodes have
children.  That's it.  For each different actual implementation of
hierarchical entities (objects, classes, windows, file system, system
registry, modules, projects, etc.), there is a class that maps between model
and reality.  We've used this in Java to map a common interface onto
directories, the WWW, and other directed graph structures.

One model to rule them all, one model to find them, one model to bring them
all, and in the implementation bind them.  In the land of Plug-ins, where
the shadows lie.

	--- Noel