[License]: need expert

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Feb 10 02:12:18 UTC 2002

> What I do not value is lots of discussions of licenses, when I am not sure
> why they help us (either as Squeak developers, or as people in general).
> What good can come from us serving the licenses rather than the licenses
> serving us?

We probably all feel the same way.  However, software licenses, small
and flimsy as they seem when you get down to it, are all that stand in
the way of things like pirating MS Windows, downloading Buffy episodes
that weren't played in the US, or copying a Madonna cassette for a
friend to listen to without buying it.

Oh, wait....

Seriously, if we want business to have a chance of getting involved,
then we need to have our legal groundwork solid.  Then again, it doesn't
matter for people who just want to explore an incredible idea together.

-Lex