[License]: need expert

John Hinsley johnhinsley at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 10 05:00:29 UTC 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Eric Scharff wrote:

> Is it excessively naive for us to do things with good intentions and
> simply retain a good lawyer?  I would think a good lawyer would be worth
> far more than a good license.

Surely, one without the other is no use at all. A great lawyer, with infinite
funding will struggle (perhaps not in the U.S!) to win a case founded on the
basis of a dreadful licence.

While not wanting to comment on the (greatness or otherwise of the) BSD licence
at all, if the people who had written the TCP stack that Microsoft used had
tried to sue, they'd almost certainly have gotten nowhere, even with the best
lawyers in the cosmos.

Cheers

John

--
They're afraid, very afraid...... According to CRN magazine,
Microsoft staff discovering Linux in use will have now access to a special