[Q] Command line session/ Java debugging

Jeff Schilling schilling at acm.org
Sun Feb 10 00:52:00 UTC 2002

There are some non-squeak alternatives to be aware of:

BATJAC - a st like environment, written in itself and with many of the std
st like env capabilities
http://www.odysseyitc.com/batjac/

Talks2 - a st -> java environment - havent' used it though.
http://www.architur.de/talks2/

and
Bistro - a smalltalk->java/jvm tool.  Includes a squeak translator.
http://bistro.sourceforge.net/ (doesn't look very active right now)

and finally, FROST, a different approach based on running java within a
smalltalk image.  The most current work is at

http://sabine.canis.uiuc.edu:8080/Frost

Interesting possibilities.  If you decide to stick with the squeak based
approach, you should look at the Java Virtual Machine Debugger Interface
JVMDI or the higher level JDI.  These define the protocol for interacting
with a debug java runtime.
see http://java.sun.com/products/jpda/ for more info.

-Jeff