[License]: need expert [CSOTD newbie technique tip included!]

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Sun Feb 10 15:59:55 UTC 2002

> > My impression about SqueakL/Debian [was the indemnification
> > was the problem for Debian]
> Here it is, for the record:
>
> =====
> 5. Indemnification.  You agree to indemnify and hold Apple harmless
> from any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses [...]

Why is this an issue?  What does indemnification have to do with whether or
not it is open?  If I were putting out free software for which I had no
continued responsibility or interest, I'd put the same thing in, too!  "Here
is the software.  Do with it as you will, but if you use it you agree that I
am not to blame for ANY possible problem you may encounter."  For that
matter, the SqueakL should probably be changed to add the same protection to
other Squeak entities, such as SqF, SqC, the various universities, etc.  As
Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> Squeaker passing on Squeak with his additions could add an
> additional indemnification passage [to hold] harmless Apple
> _and_ the Squeaker who did the additional work.

But rather than do this individually, perhaps some sort of blanket coverage
would be better.  The reason is indemnification is that in our litigious
society, someday someone is going to have a problem and try to collect from
whomever they feel has sufficiently deep pockets to pay.

Perhaps Andrew C. Greenberg would care to weigh in on the issue.

	--- Noel