More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardware

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 22:02:05 UTC 2002

On Sunday, February 10, 2002, at 07:59  AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> except exobox also had an embedded version of Mozilla,
>> the need for full network support, USB, printers, etc.
>> If it had just been Squesk everything would have been cool.
>
> I'm still trying to understand what these additions would be obstacles
> porting Squeak.

Actually, none, except that in the case of this particular machine, we
couldn't get it all in.  This device was the least upgradeable of all
the devices - most of the rest of them (iOpener, Virgin, thinkNIC, etc)
at least had an IDE header so you could attach a hard drive, though a
couple of them rearranged the pinout so you'd need a special cable.

If you just want Squeak on it, it will work just fine, if you can figure
out what to use for secondary store.  We had other needs, so we didn't
waste much time on this one.

It is certainly true that the price is right if you enjoy this kind of
hacking. If I were doing it, I'd do just enough to boot a Squeak image
across a LAN, and use another machine as a server and virtual hard drive.

-- Duane