Fonts, was Re: [License]...

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 11 05:30:03 UTC 2002

> Part of the understanding with Doug was that they be distributed only
> when included with an image, not separately, and that notice about the
> origin of the fonts be included in  an appropriate place, like a comment
> but preferably in the WtS window, and that they be nontrivial to extract
> and converted back to their original form.  The primary reason was that
> he also sells the Windows versions of these fonts in some form and
> doesn't want someone competing with his own fonts.

This is better than an Apple-restricted font, but why don't we try for a
*really* free font?  Surely there are some around, e.g. whatever Debian
uses for XWindows.

Note that it really is going to be easy to extract a font from a Squeak
image -- Squeak is an interactive programming system, and it's
*designed* to make this kind of thing easy.  It would be really
irritating not to have #exportOnFileNamed:, just because of licensing.

-Lex