Fonts, was Re: [License]...

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 11 17:35:25 UTC 2002

Henrik Gedenryd <h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk> wrote:
> Lex Spoon wrote:
>
> > This is better than an Apple-restricted font, but why don't we try for a
> > *really* free font?
>
> Bitmap fonts cannot be copyrighted, as has been pointed out here many times.
> Check the fonts and licensing page on minnow where all these issues are
> explained thoroughly.

I know this, but nevertheless people keep claiming copyright on bitmap
fonts and distributing them under restricted licenses.  While we have
the option of using such fonts and just ignoring the restrictions, it
would be nicer to have fonts that simply don't have such restrictions.
(Or, to convince their authors to re-release them without restriction.)

-Lex