Process local variable and debugging

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Mon Feb 11 21:25:48 UTC 2002

> I was thinking of working around the problem by making it
> more of the form
> 	thisContext process
> where the process message needs to run up the stack and then
> work out which process owns the root context. This seems like
> it can also get stuck in some interesting areas, like what
> happens if you decide to add an instvar to Process to point
> to the rootcontext (so you can quickly scan all proceses to
> find the owner) and someone has done som coroutining thus
> making the context chains all mixed up? Ouch. Still at least
> using 'thisContext process' makes sure you get the same
> answer in and out of the debugger. Probably....

I think we would actually have more problems with this approach (and
it's slower).  Why not just fix the debugger...after all, it's at fault
here, not "Processor activeProcess"...it does exactly what one would
expect.  Confusing what is meant by the "active process" would just
muddy the waters I think.

- Stephen