[ENH] printing Mac Classic!!

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Feb 11 22:36:04 UTC 2002

The sun is out, one could almost pretend it's spring here. However
I'm buried in my office looking at classic mac printing, evil stuff
this. However people have had 15 years to make it work.

So attached is a somewhat viable plugin to enable to you all to print
from say the Squeak 3.0.x series of macintosh VMs, with of course the
smalltalk code I posted on Saturday.

Now there is one bug that this venture has exposed. Once the printer
status messages come up you must click on them to get Squeak to
continue to run, otherwise they hang  everything and you grow old
waiting. Oh and asking for multiple copies doesn't work, same for
printing over 128 pages. These are nasty issues with this level of
printing architecture that I doubt I'll fix as a casual adventure.

The click issue is related to a bug that gets exposed by popping up
the dialog window, I'd guess it's the earliest bug coded in the
macintosh VM so far. I am willing to build a 3.0.21 VM to fix it if
there is interest, as yet I've not seen any interest in printing (ie
feedback) so it's hard to judge if mac users actually have printers
these days?

Note a  3.0.19 and 3.0.20 VM was distributed for testing last year
however they never really officially shipped because of issues with
Microsoft browser plugin openGL insanity.