lets co-opt the .net engines

David Simmons David.Simmons at smallscript.com
Tue Feb 12 07:03:59 UTC 2002

I missed this comment the first time around. But I think it is worth
commenting here that I personally know the guys at MS-research who are
doing this work. The reason I know them is that we were all working side
by side on building .NET language implementations. We were basically fed
from the same Microsoft.NET technology-seed resource pools and
collaborated in the .NET evolution. I.e., there was no particular
distinction (on the part of MS) between MS-research and MS-redmond as
far as the value of the MS-research work on IL, types, closures, and
various security validation work.

As with any large company, it would be erroneous to assume there is a
single "MS" in the .NET story. I think it more fair to say that
MS-research just represents one of many "competing" interest groups
within Microsoft. Sometimes their views and opinions hold sway, and
other times they do not. Which is to say that sometimes their work and
samples are a good indicator of future Microsoft direction and
commitment, but not always. They are one of the predominant groups for
driving the internal design of the .NET CLR mechanisms.

-- Dave S. [SmallScript Corp]

SmallScript for the AOS & .NET Platforms
David.Simmons at SmallScript.com | http://www.smallscript.org