More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardware

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:23:12 UTC 2002

"D Whitehorn-Umphres" <dawumail at progarts.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Has anyone on this list ported Squeak to the metal on any platform?
Er, yes, just a few times. :-) S'easy.
> How
> about to a non-Windows/non-X GUI toolkit?
Acorn Risc OS? Bare frame buffer /dev/fb ? Set at display chip
registerto point to my bit of memory? Yup, done'em all.
> Some of the Unix GUI toolkits
> (those intended for kiosks) seem very fast and small and it might be easier
> to get a very small kernel running along with a GUI library and stick Squeak
> on *that*.
No need for that much complication.

> *Ok, I admit it, I'm old.  To me, 32MB is the quantity of memory in my
> entire first VAXcluster. Type louder or I won't be able to hear you.
My first big machine had 32Kb and took five passes of paper tape to
compile a FORTRAN prog.

tim

ASCII to  ASCII, DOS to DOS.