Interesting Language Search

Jean Berger sajack at zayda.net
Wed Feb 13 00:36:32 UTC 2002

Perhaps take a look at:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/11/1857203&mode=flat&tid=156

A brief snippet:

"My company is about to start development on a new project, and I have
to decide on a language and development environment. My boss gave me a set
of criteria which needs to be filled: intuitive and easy to use IDE;
simplified GUI design and event handling; advanced error handling;
advanced object oriented design including multiple inheritance, abstract
classes, and garbage collection; full support for operator and function
overloading; and portable (at compile-time) across various platforms. I
have already looked at C++, Java, C++, C#, Eiffel, and even VB.net; I may
be missing something but as far as I can tell all of these languages are
missing something from this list. Is there a language available that has
all of these features? I thought that someone from Slashdot would be able
to point me in the right direction?" If you were to design a language from
the ground up, what features would you include and why?"

Looks to me as though Squeak has most (all?) of what this guy's looking
for? Any Comments?