[OT] Yorkshire programmers, was RE: More Cheap-o Squeak-o har dware

Peter Crowther peter.crowther at networkinference.com
Wed Feb 13 19:40:07 UTC 2002

> From: Duane Maxwell [mailto:dmaxwell at san.rr.com]
> > Our managers expected us to connect the vacuum tubes by hand; 300
> > volts,and
> > we'd be droppin' like flies durin' even the simplest bubble
> > sort . . .
>
> Vacuum tubes? That's Utopia!
>
> In my day, we'd count hings using our fingers.  If we needed
> numbers larger than 10, we'd take our shoes off.  When we got
> to 21, well.....
>
> -- Duane

Aye, well, when I were a lad, we 'ad this way o'reckoning.  It went 'Don't
count 'em, they're all mine'.  It were derived from the Yorkshireman's
Creed:

"See aal, hear aal, say nowt;
Eat aal, drink aal, pay nowt;
And if ever tha does owt for nowt, allus do it for thysen."*

Anyway, two Yorkshiremen helped create electronics as we know it today by
discovering copper wire.  Apparently they were fighting over a penny at the
time...

		- Peter, whose Yorkshire accent is now "smittled wi'
Lancashire"

* Translation for Londoners and other foreigners: aal = all, nowt = nothing,
tha = you, owt = anything, allus = always, thysen = yourself.