More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardware

Gary Fisher gafisher at sprynet.com
Wed Feb 13 21:33:04 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "D Whitehorn-Umphres" <dawumail at progarts.com>
To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 2:03 PM
Subject: RE: More Cheap-o Squeak-o hardware

> Mea culpa. Excuse me, and now for the hard of hearing, MEA CULPA. :-)
>
> So I searched around and found a few messages that discuss the bare-metal
> port, but I didn't see anything detailed.  I was hoping to see some
> technical examples of how to get started on this (running raw on the
Compaq
> IA-1, a thinly-disguised PC).
>
> - -d

It sounds like what you're asking for is a "Squeak as its own OS" as in the
elusive bare chip port to the Mitsubishi M32R/D.  Being able to boot the
IA-1 (or any other x86-based hardware) directly from Squeak would be ideal,
but thus far I'm not aware of anything that extensive except for that
Mitsubishi chip.

Gary