Scamper request

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu Feb 14 00:34:26 UTC 2002

What happens if you have a web page that contains a <FORM>
but does _not_ contain a SUBMIT button?

Answer:
X.  In *some* Web browsers, typing RETURN at a text entry box will
    trigger the Form's action anyway.

Y.  If *some* Web browsers, typing RETURN at a text entry box will
    put a RETURN in the text, and you _can't_ submit such a form.

Netscape and ICab are class X browsers, Amaya and Scamper are class Y.

It occurred to me that someone who knows their way around Scamper would
find it fairly easy to add a new (SUBMIT) button to the row of buttons
Scamper already has; clicking on that button would submit the form that
contains the text selection.

If I knew my way around Scamper, I'd have a go at this myself.

This isn't an idle request; there are Web designers who apparently don't
know that the RETURN-in-text-entry-box method is not universal, and there
is a Web site I'd like to be able to use Scamper on that does this.
I'm also badgering the site maintainer to add some Submit buttons, so it's
no big deal, it'd just be cool to show how adaptable Squeak/Scamper can be.