Squeak is doing a *lot* of gettimeofday()

Karl Goiser kgoiser at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 14 00:51:21 UTC 2002

Hi People,

Excuse me for butting in on this discussion, but I must admit that I
fail to understand why Squeak needs to call gettimeofday() on any
regular basis at all!

Please excuse me if this is a dumb thing to say that displays a total
lack of understanding of Squeak.  But I won't let that put me off.
:-)  I'll continue:

Aren't most modern operating systems and environments event driven?
Shouldn't Squeak be doing nothing most of the time?

If the problem is based on locating the mouse in the display, what
happens with non-mouse systems like PDA's?  Anyway, don't mice only
produce events on movement in most operating systems?

It seems to me that there must be some serious design flaw somewhere
(however see admittance of failure of understanding above).

Karl